MOLD AND MILDEW
In addition to everything else (all good musical stuff) this fall, we have what I think may be a serious problem with mold/mildew in the Choral Library. In a nutshell, the AC has been doing a very poor job of removing moisture from the air in the Music Suite (and elsewhere). I’m in touch with Jim Stephens (OBIC manager) about this set of issues, and how they can be addressed, and whether dehumidifiers have to be brought in. Fans may well be. The temperature has been set lower in that space in the hope of lowering the ambient humidity- so far not effectively, says Jim.
The immediate need to is clean the mildew off the cardboard music-storage boxes- it’s gotten worse over the summer and especially in the last week or so, and is starting to affect the music- very scary. So:
– I am researching the best materials to use for the purpose; lots of info on the web.
– If any of you folk has experience in mildew/mold remediation on books and cardboard, please let me know now.
– Most sites say it’s important to get the affected materials outside on a clear, dry day, and in the sun.
– I’ll be checking the weather forecasts daily, starting tonight.
– I’ve asked ‘Chon to reserve the Music Suite for work every possible daylight hour this week.
– Work tables will be set up in the room and outside, probably.
– We’ll need to assemble a couple of work-parties, I would guess, of 8-10 folks each (space is a little tight in the room), to work for a day or two this week, if possible.
– I know lots of folks are out of town (and a lot of us will be helping Carol Zika settle into her new place too), but I’d like to ask anyone who is willing and able, and around, to let me know of your availability as soon as you can. I will send you a sign-up grid this evening or tomorrow, based on what I hear from Jim, and the weather forecast.
Many, many thanks for rallying around- and for your good advice on process and materials for remediation.
Thanks so much! You are a amazing bunch of volunteers already!
REHEARSAL OCT 4 (moved from OCT 5)
Hi again, Dear Choristers-
Thanks SO much for your prompt responses to my request for responses about Choir rehearsal on Oct. 4/5. The clear choice is that we rehearse on October 4, from 7-9, in the sanctuary, so that we can attend the Conversations for Change film and discussion on Oct. 5. Since we are singing a lot this fall, including on Oct. 7 and 8, this will be a really important rehearsal to be at, if at all possible. Thanks for your flexibility and goodwill.
Please put this on your calendars now- thanks!